Sunday, May 04, 2008

She Is Good People

I'm not certain how I found Karey M. from Mackin Ink. It's one of my many blogs I hit on a frequent if not daily basis these days. She [in my mind] has become my worldly friend, my friend across the earth in The Middle East. She of course knows very little of this friendship, she and I have politely commented on each other's blogs but she doesn't know that I've upgraded her to my long distant girlfriend as of late.



I'm not certain how she got to the place she's in [Karey if you're reading this tell us your story] but from her blog it says she's a Mid-Western Girl [as in U.S.A] living in The Middle East. She is married to a character named "Uncle Sugar" and has three lovely daughters with the most beautiful names ever Esme, Lille and Grae.

The thing that I love most about this woman is her daily lessons she integrates in with her daughters. Her latest, "being nice", which you can read over at her site. It is so challenging sometimes to be nice when you can throw a stink, pout, and just be mean because it's easier. If you've even been in the car with me to experience my road rage you will know that I don't place nice in the car. I'm not sure how this happened really, as my boyfriend once commented "how is it that you are the kindest, sweetest, most patient person I've ever known, yet in the car you become this crazed woman screaming profanities?" I don't know either...call it my Achilles I suppose.

I highly recommend spending time at her site. Her last few stories are nothing short of amazing. "What I want you to be when you grow up" and "I didn't want to forget to tell you about this one" are a treat.

I do have to mention her story about "What I want you to be when you grow up" because it's something that I still think about for myself on a regular basis. It reminded me of a session with my therapist a few years ago when we were discussing something that I was facing once again [and it seemed like the millionth time] and she asked me "if you were talking to your daughter about this subject what would you tell her?" and then once we discussed it further, "what would you tell your 13 year old self about this?"



I think those two questions are so important. They are questions that I have asked myself frequently since then, so that I can decide if what I learned growing up still meshes with who I am now, or who I would like to be in the future. Think about an issue that you're facing today and what you would tell your 13 year old self and how to handle it. I think you might be surprised at the answer that comes from it.

The artwork here is some that Karey posted on her site but is from an artist Keri Smith that I also adore.

3 comments:

karey m. said...

WHAT. IS. THIS?!

my eyes are overflowing! what is this?!

ugh. this is the nicest thing ever. and you? you don't know how many times i retell your vincent gallo story! everyone in amman knows it! or how i love it when sgm leaves comments on your posts that begin "holy shit, richie!"

this blogging thing is so funny, because you can seriously find people who could become real friends. and you learn this through the writing they share. you just can't fake it, i don't think. which is what i find here on your blog.

for lack of better words, right back at you {because your words here are much better than mine}.

one more thing. joe sorren {the artist you recommended?} is now my new fave. i am saving him for a future post. thank you for that. and for all of the above.

p.s. i just re-read vincent gallo. priceless. simply priceless.

Richie Designs said...

wow! who new I would get so much mileage [literally] out of vincent gallo!

when I admitted that story to my girlfriends in Palm Springs they were all A. SUPER SHOCKED that I did anything of that nature B. Amazed that I got a response ;)

Anonymous said...

I concur. Karen at Mackin Ink is so sweet and true, her writing so dead on. She's one of my new blogger friends for sure, whether she knows it or not, and you are, too!