Monday, May 26, 2008

The Groom Wore Slippers


Some dear friends of mine got married over the long weekend, and though it may seem odd to most, the groom wore slippers to his wedding - and yet it doesn't really surprise me at all. Dave has been my quirky friend from highschool and when I say quirky I can't really begin to explain. There are the cactus he collects [Cactus Dave] is his name to all of us, or perhaps there is the California Pottery collection, and the arts and crafts furniture and before that there was baseball cards and vintage toys. Then there is the music friends, and the art friends, and the motorcycle people, and the tattoos, and the transgendered folk. I've told him before that my life is so much more interesting with his friends in it.






It was a small affair [30 people] at one of their pottery friend's home in Newport Beach, CA. I began taking pictures of the house early in the day but was asked not to publish them because of an upcoming book that will feature their home. It really was that good. I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly sure that this couple has one of the most extensive collections of California Pottery [Bauer, Catalina, Montery, Roseville] in the world. Every square inch of the house was covered in some interesting pottery or Monterey Tile. I really wish I could show you pictures.



Because the event was so small and the normal line up of events wasn't scheduled, when it came time to cut the cake I began asking who was going to give a toast. I wasn't sure Ian [14] would be up for it, but his new grandpa gave him a pep talk before hand and Ian gave a lovely speech saying what a special day it was, even though they had been together for so many years. It was very sweet, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one to shed a tear.

congrats to all.

No comments: