Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A tale from the ER

Hey doc my kidney hurts like last year. Here is test 1 and test 2 he said.. but we can't see anything wrong.

But I'm telling you something is wrong and it's getting worse. Can't you do this XYZ test you did before?

Yes, he said but not until next month [Mid August]

Fast forward to Sunday night in the ER doubled over in pain: "Yes, your kidney is swollen, we can see that lets admit you to the hospital," they said. "May I have another shot of duiladed before I go?" Of course, they said. "Thank you so much I said" and then refrained from barfing my brains up. I'd rather barf from the medication then feel like my kidney was going to explode, I know call me crazy.

They took me in for emergency surgery and found that I have some scar tissue in that little tube between my bladder and kidney the same one from last year, they saw it before as well, but for some reason either it had filled it up or just collapsed the good side all together. Another stent, this time for 3 months to keep it open.

The funniest part of all of it was how loaded I was. Texting from the hospital bed to people I had appointments with on Monday, some I could only leave drug induced messages for. Often I passed out mid text and then would wake up to holding my phone in my hand and needing to finish.

I'm mostly better now but I'll be off line this week, home to visit my family and catch up from my little vacation to the emergency room.

cheers
Richele

2 comments:

Petunia Face said...

Oh shit! I hope you're feeling better. Hugs to your kidneys.
xo,
S

Amanda said...

Oh man, Richele! See, if I were only closer, I could carry on for you with all that work you have to do.

PLEASE get better, and soon!