Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Robert Mars show -Portland

Guestroom Gallery
4114 N.Vancouver Avenue,
Portland, OR 97217




If you happen to be in the Portland area, artist Robert Mars [who I met recently via email when I did a write up about his Blurb Book] is having a gallery showing at Guestroom Gallery. The show opens Friday July 11th with the opening reception 6-9pm.


I've talked about my love of vintage neon signs oh, I'm sure a million times now. Which is why I gravitated to Robert's work so quickly. I think I fell in love with old neon after I saw a painting in a ad agency [painted by one of it's team] focusing on local neon around Long Beach. I had never looked at it in that way to tell you the truth, and never have since. I have used it over the years in my own work as well, but I'm always a sucker for someone else's interpretation.



From the artist:
“I am determined to capture the independent aesthetic of the not-so-distant past that has been replaced by homogenized corporate culture and standardized cityscapes. Industrial design, graphic design, architecture and vintage neon all render important roles in my work.”



I'm not the only one who thinks he rocks, as he has worked for such notable action sports companies as Element and 5 Boro, adidas, Bonfire Snowboard Clothing and Ride Snowboards in addition to his own clothing company.

If you can't be there don't fret. You can always check out his book on Blurb. Always Beauty in Hindsight.

No comments: