Saturday, June 21, 2008

Me and Maya

I was first introduced to Dr. Maya Angelou's work in college. I think through one of my girlfriends who was in the women's studies department. You may or may not know of her work she is an author, a poet, a singer, a dancer, she speaks multiple languages.



This weekend I needed to clean some things out from a book case and I came across an interview that she did with Oprah for her O magazine December 2000. I saved the magazine just for that interview and so in an attempt to consolidate I ripped out the article [or what I thought was all of it]. An hour or so passed and I sat down and began to reread the interview and realized half way thorough that I had thrown part of it out in the trash. I was so possessed with having it that I dug through my apartment dumpster to get it back.

After I retrieved it I thought about doing this write up and how I would describe my love of her words. Why I feel drawn to this woman of color who is 80 years old. What I have to tell you is that, if you don't know her or her work, that she is strength embodied and she owns her power every minute of every day.

Have you ever been in the presence of someone who owns his or her power? Who does it without need of squashing anyone else around them? They can captivate a room, own immediate respect and set their ego aside to tend to the situation. This is what she is for me, and many many people that are her fans. I've been thinking about how to reprint this article in sections, but it is fairly long. I thought I would post a couple of quotes from it instead. If you are interested in reading it whole. I would be happy to photo copy the article and send it to you. A little love via snail mail. Maybe if I get a little something finished in the studio, you might also get a treat. I'm feeling generous today so you should take me up on it! Send me an email if you're interested richele[at]richiedesigns.com

-------------

Oprah: How is it that you came to be this wise? Because you would say you're wise, wouldn't you?

Maya: Well, I'm en route. I am certainly on the road.

Oprah: Is it because you've paid such close attention in your life?

Maya: I do pay attention. I love wisdom. And you can never be great at anything unless you love it. Not be in love with it, but love the thing, admire the thing. And it seems that if you love the thing, and you don't just want to possess it, it will find you. But if you're in love with the thing, it may run like hell away from you.

Oprah: But if you love it, it looks for you as you look for it.

Maya: That's right.

Oprah: Just listening to you now, I'm thinking, What is it about Maya? I think that it's that you know yourself.

Maya: Uh-huh.

Oprah: You know that you are supported by something bigger than yourself. That you are loved. That you have the right to stand up for yourself. And that comes from knowing who you are.

Maya: And I not only have the right to stand up for myself, but I have the responsibility. I can't ask somebody else to stand up for me if I won't stand up for myself. And once you stand up for yourself, you'd be surprised that people say, "Can I be of help?"

------
On the topic of dying...that she came to grips with in her early 20's

Maya: It was one of the most important crossroads in my life, because once I realized that no matter what, I would do this thing, [die] the next step was to think, if I am going to do the most difficult and frightening thing - dying - is it possible that i could do some difficult and maybe seemingly impossible things that are good?

Oprah: Was this a conscious thought?

Maya: Yes. I thought, just suppose I could choreograph a ballet. And I did it. Suppose I could teach dance at the theater in Cleveland. And I did it. suppose I could sing for a living - that I could stop these two jobs as a waitress and a salesperson.

Oprah: Had you thought about doing that before but didn't have the courage?

Maya: It had never occurred to me. I'm going to die. So why can't I do everything? And what is this idea that I worked all day yesterday, so I'm tired today? I've never believed that.

Oprah That is why everyone marvels at your stamina - your ability to continue to be out there speaking, teaching and giving, giving, giving. We think, how does she do it? I need a nap!

Maya: I think a nap or a rest overnight is great. But who needs three days of rest? Please! The second day, you might die.


mage via Dr. Maya Angelou's sitei

1 comment:

karey m. said...

her words on dying really move me...into action, maybe. you know?

i told you i saw her in the airport...she was a giant. just moved slowly and purposefully. i imagine she does everything fairly purposefully.

this was lovely. thank you.