Monday, June 16, 2008

For the love of banquettes

A reader, Karen here from Eden Prairie, MN, wrote to me today about a story I did while I was working for Apartment Therapy, I thought other readers might find benefit of the question and answer.

Hey, I saw your blog in Apt Therapy about the banquettes. I love love love banquettes and have been wanting to get one for years. I'm moving soon, and I'm gonna do it! I was thinking about using the Herman Miller Goetz sofa, but I think it is too deep. Then I saw your pics - and tried and tried to get more info on these guys, but to no avail. Do you remember or still have easily accessible the info for them?

Hi Karen,

Yes, I too am still obsessing. I always seem to find a use for my dollars somewhere else though.

With all my research I decided [for what I wanted] I was going to have to do a custom piece.

you might be able to find out more info about the gray sofa featured in the AT:LA story from Jen Lee she changed her blog name after that original posting.

There is a guy that I found here locally in Long Beach, Ca that I could recommend that has worked with the hotel industry and set building for custom work, but then you'll have to schelp it to MN. If you're interested still just let me know and I'll get you his name. [It's David Galindo I found it tonight]

As for stock these two pieces seemed like they might work nicely:


Brocade Home tuffed loveseat



Briar Love Seat by CB2

If I recall, many of the major furniture builders are in MN so you might be able to find someone local.

Hope this helps. Send a photo when you're all done - definitely want to see it!

richele

2 comments:

karey m. said...

you always throw out these little tidbits...when i worked for apartment therapy...

how cool are you?

Richie Designs said...

so NOT cool...they just let me hang out with them for a little while... ok a year and half. It was when they first started and were more "blog like" than magazine like [they're so pro now!]

I wasn't very good at delivering as many pieces as they needed, and at the end, my writing was atrocious [I was tired and being lazy].

The readers are not all that kind either. They forget there is a person behind the story and will take you out at the knees at any given moment.

I learned so much while working for them, it was a tremendous experience for me and it was fun for a while, but in the end it wasn't me we all parted good friends, I still chat with the editors on a regular basis.