Sunday, March 28, 2010

What did you do this weekend?

I had an unintentional weekend of art. Chris was working all weekend in the ER so I just laid low and took it easy [amazing to have free time really]

but the art. Friday Night? The most beautiful documentary on legendary Jazz musician Chet Baker.

I kept thinking this movie, it looks like something else...it was directed by none other than fashion photog Bruce Weber. All I can say is it's silvery, sexy, sad and pretty all in the same movie. [Sundance Channel] this is a [long 10 min] clip from the movie but you might also remember the William Claxton photo [above] that immortalized him best.



PAPER
Then spring cleaning I found my David Carson design books. Anyone out there old enough to remember Raygun Magazine? I think in a cleaning frenzy a few years ago I threw out my back copies. [stupid me]





If you weren't privy to him back in the early 90's he took every type and design rule and blew them up with Raygun. Taking articles and instead of putting them in neat readable columns he cut them apart, used 5 different fonts and turned things upside down [sometimes literally]. I have to say the first few issues of Raygun were unreadable but very, very beautiful. Later he cooled it down with the articles and concentrated on doing his thing with the intros etc.



As Newsweek proclaimed "he changed the public face of graphic design". It was a love/hate thing with his work. Most established art directors hated him, most readers loved that he was breaking it down. Read more about him here

MORE FILM

then on to Valentino The Last Emperor which I've seen before but just couldn't help myself to watching the last half.




TV
and lastly Ovation TV. Do you have it? you should really check...they have the most amazing art, music and dance programs.



I caught a little bit about Warhol's Factory people and then the Julian Schnabel directed movie Basquiat about one of my favorite painters.

What did you do anything fun my lovelies?

No comments: