Monday, February 16, 2009

It's a soup sorta day

It's blustery, and rainy here in beautiful So. Cal. Today is a great day for my almost homemade chicken [or veggie] soup. I thought I would share my cheater way through it. I'm lazy, super lazy when it comes to cooking. It has to be easy, quick and be yummy.


•2 boxes of Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth [I've tried others stay with this one /regular not low sodium] available at Whole Foods.
•1 shallot [trader joes]
•1/3 of a container of pre-chopped onions [whole foods]
•mushrooms 3/4 of a precut bag or a box of whole minis

•sautee mushrooms onions and shallot with a splash of olive oil
add veggie broth boxes.

•Add any or all of the following:
1 bag of baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower precut and washed [trader joes carries one with all three together]
other variables, red pepper, zuccini, leeks anything left over from the previous week

•one package of thai style lime pilaf [you can go healthy with brown rice but this is really yummy] trader joes

•you know those whole roast chickens available under the heater at the market? buy one and strip it clean
add it to your soup to make a heartier version or just go veggie/rice.

•lastly 4-6 lemons, trust me on this one it's amazing. you'll need 3/4 to 1 cup of lemon juice. Don't do the stuff
from the plastic lemon, I've tried it and it's just not the same. I cheat in a lot of areas but this one I wouldn't advise.

simmer about 45 min or until carrots are soft. freezes well too

No comments: