Thursday, June 04, 2009

changes, beginnings, questions & UHauls

They've asked me to speak tonight about blogging as I noted below, how I manage it in my day-to-day, how it effects my work and/or creative business. The idea of talking in front of a group of people about this sort of thing makes you really think. As in, do I know what the hell I'm doing here writing? I'm not sure. What exactly am I writing about these days? Not very much, scanning through my last few weeks of posts. I've been cheating my way out of talking lately, posting an image or a quick thought and running. Because, It's easier to run than to think.



Since my layoff from my job of 14 years, just... what, a measly 6-8 weeks ago? I've been running non-stop. Networking, calling folks, doing these little bit projects on the side and not knowing where I am going. I don't have a plan and I always have a plan. I always have a schedule. I am a structured sort of person. I wake up at this time, I eat at this time, I run errands from this time-to this time. This is the way it's always been and now it's not and I'm a little turned upside down.



Applying for jobs right now is difficult for me because I continue to ask myself, what do I want my life to look like for the next ten years+? I say ten years because I don't move often, if I have to. I'm not a one date kinda girl, I'm a lets bring the UHaul trailer sort of girl [btw does not work well in dating and probably not work now that I think about it]. Each time I apply for a job I think will I love it? Can I stay there for 10 years? most often my answer is no. I might also mention that I have the delusion that every job I apply for, they will offer me. I should know better than this but I haven't got past it yet.



Yes, I'm weighing the idea of going balls-out on my own. Doing this printing thing full time, this graphic thing full time, this consulting thing full time, this jack-of-all trades whatever the hell I do....full time. I'm afraid to say that it's what I want REALLY because what if all this work I've been doing dries up? What if I can't support myself with it? Negative Nelly has arrived.

So here's the thing. I'm finding my way right now. I apologize if I phone it in for a little while until I sort through the giant UHaul of my brain figuring out what's happening in my life. I promise to write more about this, as I know I'm not alone in this struggle.

And with that...I sign off because my first piece of advise to someone who is interested in blogging? Keep it short. People are on overload they have 2-4 min to spend on your blog, they want a pretty picture and a little bit of info and they want to get the hell out. At least I do. There are very few blogs I read more than 2 paragraphs.

So there you have it. I hope I can get my UHaul straightened out by this evening when they ask me about all of this. How unfortunate for me to say...what a minute I know I saw the ladle in this packing box somewhere!

and my photos today? totally random, just like my brain. All were taken by me should you be curious, on my last big producing job in Key West. Ah the good ol' days

No comments: