Sunday, April 29, 2007

Time Magazine's Design 100



I wanted to toot my own horn for a brief moment and write about the recent accolades that my other writing job has received [not me personally but the group] Over at Apartment Therapy where I am a Co-Editor and daily contributor. I'm proud to announce that Time Magazine included us in their Style & Design 100 issue this year.

It's always been a little dream of mine to be involved in magazines. When I was in highschool my dream was to go to NYC and work for Art Forum, Interview or one of the other noteable magazines. I couldn't articulate why except I liked at the end of the day there was a physical representation of creative work. I don't think I would have ever said I would be a writer at that time as it was more about page layout and design. As a creative and quiet person, finding my voice with writing as been as much of a surprise to me as anyone especially since my spelling is horrendous and as any of my English Comp teachers can vouch to, the girl has no idea of what punctuation is and how to use it.

I began writing for AT:LA nearly a year ago and wanted to because I believed in what they were doing [trust me it's not the cash], I never thought about the translation for myself to my magazine dreams but essentially that's what it has become [an on line magazine that is] as you can see with the current cover of Dwell Magazine featuring our last year's Coolest Smallest Contest Winner. We are shaping the future of print right before my [and everyone elses] eyes.

The fact that they let me hang out with the cool kids makes me giggle. Never in a million years would I have guessed that I could say I was working for a group that was featured in Time Magazine.

---

also a toot out for Scott Schuman's blog who also was included in the 100 The Satoralist. If you have never had the thought that great things come from seemingly bad you should read Scott's story on how his little website started and how doing what he loved has blossomed into a brand new career...and might I say very difficult field to even think of getting into. He has been on my daily read list for some time now.

1 comment:

franki durbin said...

Congrats on the nod! There is no greater joy than pursuing a dream and seeing it realized.

Your comment "at the end of the day there was a physical representation of creative work" is precisely what drives my design desire. It's being able to see a tactile object representing your efforts. I more than understand!

Congrats again!