Monday, April 05, 2010

The Bright Side Project

Surly you know about The Bright Side Project? Free stuff no strings attached? This month I'm participating in their California Dreamin' Month of goodies.



the question I posed? "What letter have you received or sent that meant a lot to you?"

I remembered this story when I was searching for a question to pose for the contest.

Once, a long time ago I was studying at the local hipster coffee shop. At the time they had butcher paper and crayons on every table – it was a cute novelty. I spent hours studying there because there was just enough background noise to keep me focused on college which at many times was not what I wanted to think about.

I got up to use the restroom which was about 10 paces from where I was sitting that day. I made quick of my business because I had left all my goods splayed out in study mode. As I rounded the corner from the Loo a boy stood over my books. I stopped, thinking he was about to steal something, he looked up - saw me then laid down the folded note and promptly left.

He had written me a poem on the butcher paper something about kings and queens and gardens if I recall. It was the loveliest love note from someone I didn't know, and never met again. I hung it above my art desk at home and relished the thought that someone thought I was beautiful.

my live-in boyfriend didn't find it as sweet as I did. We soon had a humongo fight over it and I threw it out. I wish I had stuffed it away in a journal or something. I foolishly tossed it to appease him - stupid youth.

How about you? Love notes, letters from someone you love?

2 comments:

gems_k said...

It really is those random compliments which stick with us the most isn't it?
The note which I kept happened to come to me when I was in the middle of a bit of a crisis - I was waiting on some news to do with my health so maybe that's why I treasured it so much? I'm not sure.
As I was walking down the street returning from grabbing a coffee, a young gentlemen rushed out of a shop and caught up to me - he handed me a business card rather sheepishly and just said 'I saw you walk past earlier and I couldn't let you walk past again without saying something'! He handed me his card and on the back he'd written something beautiful about just seeing me made his day and he hopes that my life is full of unconditional love. It completely made my day and I still have it at home somewhere! So sweet

Brandi said...

Those strange unexpected acts always seem to mean the most. I'm sorry the letter was tossed -- there should have been somewhere you could have sent it. I think the fact that I haven't had such an experience might mean I need to get out to more coffee shops and work there, rather than at home.