Wednesday, October 29, 2008

New Technology Fear



up until Sunday evening I used a cell phone from the dinosaur ages like 1990 or something. I'm not joking. It was a Nokia block of love It's about 3" thick it weighed like 50lbs It might as well been attached to my car it was so old [remember those?]. The kid that helped me at the store looked at me like I was insane. "how did you live this long with this phone? He said." But the thing is it worked GREAT. Simple, no crazy buttons, no speaker phone, no flip this up to whatever, talk and junk. No Frills. But the thing was that mine was on it's last leg and there are times when I need a camera on my phone for work if I don't schlep my big Nikon with me. There are times I need to access my email when I'm places. I don't have a laptop so I decided that the iphone would take that place because the iphone is 199$ and a laptop, well, isn't.

I hate the learning curve of new technology...it's just so much work to learn something new. I don't own a DVR for this reason. My brain can't handle one more tech thing to figure out. I loose brain cells when I have to put that much effort into anything. Lord knows how I ended up working for Apartment Therapy and blogging. Just the small amounts of code involved in this is STRESSFUL. I had to hook up a computer at the office this week and I wanted to lay down and take a nap after. I felt like I had run a marathon.

So knowing this you shouldn't be surprised that with technology purchases I am slow, I'm a "I'll go check it out and then think about it for 4 months sort of person". during that time I ask other people who have one how they like it. I will ponder the purchase every day during that time. I will talk myself out of it 3 days out of the 7. Then at about the 4 month period I get sick of thinking about it and I just do it or I don't. "My block of love" as I called it was fast approaching a duct tape moment. So I caved, I went mostly because I was over the thinking about it part.

What I can say is this. How the hell did I live without this thing ? Seriously, I just checked my email from the toilet. That's meant to make you laugh but really, I was kinda surfing Perez Hilton. This is going to be bad for me. I will forever be locked into this thing. I will have it attached to my body, maybe embedded. I am in love with my phone.

So there you have it. Love. Mac once again is friggin brilliant.

No comments: